Monday 24 June 2013

Between Two Worlds






I think I'd imagined that standing at the canal would feel huge and significant: because it marked the breaking point between the two Americas, and because it also marked the end of my trip through Central. Back in Cancun, the thought of arriving here seemed so distant both geographically and mentally, but suddenly this day had crept up on me and here I was: standing between the continents, waiting for some kind of euphoric or epiphany. In reality, the canal was unexpectedly peaceful and the realisation that here I was, somewhat anticlimactic. I stood watching for about an hour as huge ships passed through the locks so neatly and routinely and realised that like the queue of ships waiting for their turn in the dam, I was now just a sitting duck patiently preparing for the transition home.



No comments:

Post a Comment