Friday 1 March 2013

Muchos Palabras


Today is a sad day: I am finally throwing out my shoes.

These little beauts were purchased in London on a really rainy summer weekend. Since then, they have walked with me all over Venice, Marrakech and Guadalajara... not to mention I wore them pretty much every day for my summer job. But they have literally fallen apart now... my feet get grubbier from a day of wearing them than if I went barefoot. And a few days ago, Flacco urinated on one of them.Most probably a sign.

Goodbye shoes, we had a good run. But it's time I replaced you.

I've pretty much exhausted my minimal wardrobe now. At home I have an excessive amount of clothes, and while I cannot think of anything in particular that I wish I had with me,* I do miss having the choice. Clothes shops here are pretty dire- everything they sell is polyester or stretchy lycra stuff which is cheap and sweaty and hideous. Apparently, rich Mexicans get the coach to Texas in the US for weekends just so they can visit the malls and stock up... Crazy. I have no idea how much that would all cost, but with the visa alone it must be a lot. I think I'll just wait until I'm on the coast and can live in sarongs and grass skirts.

[*Note to my mother: This does NOT mean that I won't notice if you throw anything out. I will come home and I will check and I will know.] 

Other things that I have been up to over the past few days:

Spinning- Yes, that's right. I was previously of the belief that spinning was an activity strictly for people (like my mother), who spend far too much time at the gym "doing lunch" and complaining about their children and their overpriced schools. But after more than a month of zero real exercise, I've been feeling pretty unfit, and finally agreed to tag along to a spin class with the Polish girl who has been staying here. She is so nice, and gorgeous- and makes me feel guilty for being such a slob, so I followed her good example. I thought I was going to die. Why do people do that for a whole hour? It's even more frustrating that your bike is stationary- it's like you're trying so hard but going nowhere. A perfect metaphor for my life. (I'm joking). But it must have been good for something, because I went back this week for round 2 and found it a lot easier.

Writing- So many words. Too many words. I've been writing for two websites, my local Suffolk-based magazine, the newspaper here, replying to emails, as well as personal statements, articles and interviews for my MA applications (which no, I still have not finished...). Not to mention this blog, of course. But I enjoy writing this most. I would like to have some way of working out just how many words I've written this month- I'm sure I'd have a dissertation by now.

<--Eating this- There are fruit stands selling pots similar to this everywhere, but as good as they all look, I have avoided it all so far because it's such an easy to way to get ill. Fruit like strawberries and apples which aren't peeled can carry lots of bugs (as Montse worries) and might be washed with tap water. It's hard to trust any kind of water which has a pungent smell to it... But anyway. There is a woman with a fruit stand on my walk home from the office, who only uses fruit with skins, such as watermelon and mango. She chopped them all up in front of me, and true to Mexican form offered salt, sugar, chile sauce or a combination of the three (ew). I was happy with just the fruit, and for less than a pound I had the best walk home ever. Simple pleasures!

4 comments:

  1. Hola querida Rachael, Me encanta leer tu blog. A qué websites te contribuiste? Nos lo pasamos de maravilla con sus padres en Pretoria. Espero que Flacco es un perro! Mantener el buen trabajo! Amor,
    Elsabe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rachel, I'm mate of your dad's in Odessa, great to see your progress and that Mexico is working out well. Keep writing, it's very enjoyable, you're a funny lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Elsabe! Wow, usted es fluido en muchos idiomas. Me alegro de que te gusta leer mi blog porque me gusta escribirlo. Sí, Flacco es un perro ... y escribo para Yuppee.com, thepuffinreview.com y una revista local en Suffolk llamada 'Spotlight on Felixstowe'. Yo soy una celebridad en Felixstowe. Ellos se reúnen afuera de mi casa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thank you, anonymous friend... I had heard that I'm kind of a big deal in Ukraine, but now I know it's true.

    ReplyDelete