Monday 21 January 2013

And on the Fourth Day

...I finally worked out how to use the shower.

DO not panic, I have been washing up until this point, but Mexican bathrooms are complicated things.

The shower is created using a series of clever pipes,running across the roof to warm up before coming down into the bathroom, via the sink and shower head. This means that most of the time, all water is tepid-from either hot or cold tap. Depending on how many people have used the shower and how closely together of course, the roof-warrmed water soon runs out, resulting in a very cold shower indeed.

Yesterday, I learnt that there is in fact a boiler, which one must light by hand- with a match- to have a lovely hot shower.I got a little overexcited by this and left the water boiling for too long, pretty much scalding myself. And of course the tap marked as cold is actualy hot, and the tap marked as hot dosn't work at all  when the boiler is running... it's all pretty stressful.

But today, I felt ready for the shower. I turned on the boiler, had some breakfast, and turned it of again. I waited two minutes before indulging in pure, temporal shower bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment